- What is the purpose of integrating an LMS into your classroom/school?
- How do you and your students plan to use the LMS?
- What is your current teaching style (or teaching style of your staff)?
- What is your current workflow for sharing content, gathering assignments, engaging in discussion, etc?
There are so many different characteristics of an LMS that need to be taken into consideration. To begin, we created a checklist of qualifications to use when narrowing the search for your school district. We feel these qualifications are essential to a powerful and accessible digital learning space. This list is not all encompassing and does not address personal styles of teaching, however we feel that this list addresses crucial components for a digital learning space and online instruction.
- The digital learning space allows for a clean layout and multiple ways of organizing online content.
- The digital learning space is user-friendly and intuitive.
- The digital learning space is a collaborative environment. Both students and teachers can interact in the digital learning space.
- The digital learning space is accessible to screen readers.
- The digital learning space is accessible to other stakeholders, such as parents, to increase communication of classroom structure, content, discussions, etc.
- The digital learning space provides a collaborative place for online discussion and idea sharing.
- The digital learning space has the capability of providing differentiated content, learning activities, discussions for individuals or small groups.
This checklist can support school districts as they begin thoughtful conversations around why and how they plan to use a LMS. Another strategy for selecting an LMS is establishing a small group of teachers who are willing the pilot usage of one or two learning management systems. Creating a survey and collecting information from students and teachers during this pilot period about the ease of use and impact on teaching and learning can provide valuable information in your selection process. Remember, no matter what your selection, adequate training opportunities for teachers allowing with supported collaboration and implementation times will positively impact the teacher and student experience.
~Digital Learning Consultants