What is the MERGE Cube?
How to Use the MERGE Cube
Next, install a MERGE Cube app from the App Store or Google Play Store. A good one to start with is the TH!NGS app. It's not really an educational app, but it has a variety of different mini experiences that will give you a flavor for everything that the cube is capable of. Another great app for 1st time users to try is the 3D Museum Viewer.
Once you have it installed, open the app on your device, walk through the getting started guide, and hold the merge cube in front of the camera, or put it on a table and point your device at it. Each side of the cube offers a different experience, so be sure to explore all sides. MERGE sell an AR/VR headset that was designed to be worn while using the cube, but this is an optional accessory and is not required for any of the apps you might use.
Making Curricular Connections
You can also check out MERGE's curation of educational AR and VR experiences at the MERGE Miniverse. Here you will find a selection of apps and 360 videos that can be used to help support learning in your classroom.
Here is a couple more ideas for using MERGE Cubes in the classroom:
Using MERGE Cubes With Other Services
- Convert Paint 3D and Tinkercad creations into virtual objects via the Object Viewer app. Start by creating your 3D object, then upload it to www.MINIVERSE.io where your object will be given a code. Use this code in the Object Viewer app to see a virtual version of your 3D model in the palm of your hand. Teachers can create a class account and record all student codes in a spreadsheet so that students can view each other's creations.
- If you prefer to work with physical objects, try the Qlone app. It allows you to scan a 3D object with your mobile device and turn it into a digital object. Students could use an app like this to scan something they made in your makerspace, and then upload it to www.MINIVERSE.io and use the Object Viewer app to see your creation digitally on the MERGE Cube. (Note that Qlone requires payment for unlimited exports).
- CoSpaces has an add-on pack that lets you create virtual worlds for a MERGE Cube. It allows you to place content anywhere on, inside and around a virtual cube to create your own hologram. The MERGE Cube add-on for CoSpaces requires a PRO account. Learn more here: https://cospaces.io/edu/merge-cube.html
5 Top Tips for Using Merge Cubes
- If you only have one MERGE Cube, consider connecting your mobile device to a projector so that a larger number of students can experience it at one time.
- If you have a few MERGE Cubes, try creating a AR station for your kids to work on as part of a blended classroom experience.
- Go hands-free. Not apps will work for this, but some teachers suspend their merge cubes in the air with fishing line to students can walk around them without holding them.
- Use screen recording on your device to get a record of students explaining what they learned on a particular topic using the MERGE Cube.
- The MERGE Educators Facebook group is a great way to connect with like minded teachers and keep up to date with the best ways to use MERGE Cubes in your classroom.
Bonus tip: Try before you buy with this paper version of the MERGE Cube.